Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Hailey Joy

Today's post is going to focus on our Hailey. Why? Maybe I'm being a bit sentimental because she starts preschool this Thursday or maybe because she has just been growing up too fast lately. Speaking of growing up too fast, the other day she said "I could sure go for a Caribou". I guess that is what happens when you raise kids in the city. Hailey has had a fascination with letters since about 18months but recently the fascination has turned to words. She now is noticing words wherever she goes and is trying to sound them out. She also likes to put random letters together and ask what that spells. Her fascination with Disney princesses and villains is still out of control. I was hoping that it was going to be a phase, but she can spot something with a princess on it from a mile away. We have tried to curve the interest and some things have worked. She really loved "The Nutcracker" and "Narnia" for a while but this just doesn't compare to the princess obsession. I recently started reading the "Little House of the Prairie" series to her during Taylor's nap--maybe this will take her to a new level of play.
Hailey is still having some bedtime anxiety but is slowly improving. She doesn't like being on a different floor of the house without us--this makes even going to the bathroom an issue. Oddly, she finds comfort in having Taylor with. Hailey loves to come up with new names for the baby, but most of them are pretty goofy. I guess I am also surprised how early "potty humor" has entered conversation. I had nephews that enjoyed it, but my little girl? Hailey and Taylor have really learned to play well with each other. Hailey naturally has taken on the mothering role and most of the time Taylor accepts it. I guess those are my thoughts on Hailey tonight. It is now 11pm and I'll be seeing her in our bed in just a few hours telling me to "move over".